Monday, July 31, 2006

Correct English Usage 3

Quiz on correct usage. Put a circle around the
corect answer.
1. He (avenged, revenged) his wife's murder by running
to the ground her murderers.
2. She feels she has a religious (avocation, vocation).
3. Weekends you will find her busy with her (avocation,
vocation): tending her orchids.
4. Please let me use your phone (awhile, a while).
5. Please let me use your phone for (awhile, a while).
6. The students' (behavior, behaviors) while on tour in
Europe brought the school much embarrassment.
7. Thoroughly (amused, bemused) the crowd of spectators
started to disperse, impressed with the performance
of the stand-up street comedians.
8. Thoroughly (amused, bemused) the crowd of
started to disperse, unsure whether the elephant
that materialized in the New York subway was for real
or not.
9. (Beside, besides) owning half a dozen karaoke sets,
he also has nine billiards tables- all in Cogon market.
10. He sat (beside, besiders) Ai-Ai, but all Ai-Ai seemed
to be interested in was Troy.
11. You guys (better, had better) get this roadshow on
the road, or the owners will be very angry.
12. There were between fifteen (and, to) twenty guests
at the restaurant when her party came.
13. He remembers having stayed with his uncle between
1997 (and, to) 1999.
14. I hope the pageant judges will not have a hard time
choosing between you and (I, me).
15. As soon as you (bring, take) the payment to me, I will
(bring, take) the goods to you.
16. The security people discovered a (breach, breech)
in the perimeter wall.
17. The BIR sent a refund check to my wife and (I, me).
18. Caller: "Who's calling please?" Called: "It's (I, me)."
19. Jim and (I, me) will go with you.
20. (I am, Me is) going with you.
21. The contract has to be signed by both Joe and (I, me).
22 The suspects fired at PO1 Bala and (me, myself).
23. I was (born, borne) on an airplane en route to Jordan.
24. Our pet cat has (born, borne) another litter of kittens.
25. His club features a (jacuzzi, Jacuzzi).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home